What is Kinesiology?
- Kinesiology focuses on how the human body functions and moves.
- It applies the latest evidence-based medicine principles to preserve and enhance human movement in all settings and populations.
- It is a multidisciplinary science, which includes the study of anatomy, biomechanics, ergonomics, physiology, psychomotor behaviour, social and cultural factors.
- It strives to be the leader in the prevention of injury and chronic disease.
- It employs movement as the tool for the management of injury and chronic disease.
- Kinesiology is dedicated to improving performance, health, and overall quality of life.
What Does A Registered Kinesiologist Do?
Kinesiologists are highly educated, health care professionals who are experts in body movement. We are human movement specialists who work to understand how and why people move the way they do. By implementing a multifaceted approach to movement and human performance, Registered Kinesiologists consider the factors which limit and enhance the capacity to move.
Who Can Benefit From The Expertise of a Registered Kinesiologist?
Registered Kinesiologists are Ontario's recognized experts in preventing and managing injury and chronic disease and helping people to reach peak physical performance. Kinesiologists believe in empowering people to look after their own health. They focus on prevention and well-being, increasing worker productivity, and reducing time lost to injuries and accidents, helping people get back to work and back to health faster.
The work of a Registered Kinesiologist can benefit all those who move.
- High-performance athletes.
- People suffering from an injury or disease.
- People preparing for or recovering from surgery.
- Anyone wanting to improve their overall physical health.
Registered Kinesiologists are instrumental contributors to health and wellness.
What Can Kinesiology Do For You?
- With life expectancy increasing, Kinesiology can enhance the quality of life in your later years by helping to maintain health, prevent injury and disease and improve your prospects for a healthy, independent lifestyle.
- The help of a Kinesiologist can ensure a regime is developed for you to ensure you are performing at an optimum level - at your job, in your home or on the playing field.
- The involvement of a Kinesiologist leads to healthier daily living, faster recovery, less pain and discomfort, healthier, safer work places and improved work, as well as enhanced sports and mental performance.
Are Registered Kinesiologists Represented by a Professional Governing Body?
It is a very exciting time for the profession of Kinesiology; as of April 1, 2013 Kinesiologists became licensed to practice as regulated health professionals by the Province of Ontario. The College of Kinesiologists of Ontario is the body responsible for the licensing of individual Kinesiologists in the province.
- The College of Kinesiologists of Ontario ensures standards of practice are adhered to, and provides recourse for the general public in the event of a complaint against a licensed Kinesiologist.
- The Ontario Kinesiology Association (OKA) is the professional association which promotes the profession of kinesiology as an integral part of Ontario's healthcare team.
- Registered Kinesiologists are also bound and insured with extensive errors and omissions liability coverage, with the additional option of general commercial and liability insurance coverage for those working in the community Some professionals opt to increase their level and type of insurance coverage depending upon the nature of their professional activities.
- To learn more, the OKA and the College of Kinesiologists of Ontario websites are excellent resources.